Labor has announced that as part of the Your Child. Our Future plan, a Labor Government will provide $82 million to Independent schools associations and Catholic education commissions for the duration of the original six-year Gonski agreements.
This means an additional two years of funding, and honours the agreements Labor entered into with the non-government schools sectors.
This will be called the Teaching and Learning Support Program.
The funding will allow the non-government school associations to continue important work to implement the Gonski reforms such as:
- Provide better coaching for teachers
- Establishing centres of excellence for the teaching of STEM
- Employing School Leadership Consultants – to work with principals to make sure schools have a school improvement agenda in place to lift student outcomes
- Supporting schools to implement the Australian Curriculum;
- Best practice professional development to support Indigenous Independent Schools
Of course, we will expect transparency and accountability for this funding – with clear links to improved teaching and learning.